The alpine package is the open source version of pine and is available
from http://www.uwashington.edu/ for download in source and binaries.
The alpine package does handle usenet newsgroups and as far as I know,
doesn't really complain about downloading binaries.  Also, you can tell
alpine to pass off html stuff to a browser of your choice.  If your
.mailcap and related files are set up correctly they'll also assist in
that process.