Hello Eric,

Readiris does a great job on OCR but is rubbish for scanning. I use a
combination of VueScan with Readiris and the results are excellent.

You can find a set up guide and user guide for VueScan with Readiris on:
<www.lioncourt.com>
or on:
<www.icanworkthisthing.com>

VueScan and Readiris work seamlessly together. After scanning, VueScan
launches Readiris which then launches TextEdit.

The whole process is explained in the user guide.

Cheers,

Anne