Hi Cara,

I expect people are looking at the KNFB Reader specs. The folks at
KNFB Reading Technology determined (and I don't know their
methodologies) that they couldn't get a consistently good enough image
with a widely enough varying set of natural conditions unless they
used the 5 MP camera with a xenon flash, and that polarizers stuck on
the lenses helped further sharpen the image for OCR. I couldn't say
what this does for other kinds of pictures, though. At any rate, the
LED flash in most phones I think they said, didn't provide enough
light, again consistently in a widely varying set of natural
circumstances. I expect that a 3 MP camera, given the right lighting
conditions, aim, focus, etc. would be fine, but I also expect these
things would also be somewhat more fiddly to deal with to get a good
enough image to OCR. Of course, I'd love to be wrong. I'm personally
very excited about the possibilities the new iPhone 3GS opens up; I'll
be even more excited when one can get an unlocked one and isn't
shackled to AT&T until doomsday.