Simon, a couple more questions.

First are you in the source list where the various playlists are or
are you referring to the table where the list of playlists are, which
shows up when your iPod is connected. This table appears in the iPod
settings under the Music tab. I do not use VO-shift-s to scroll. You
should be able to tab to the sources table and simply arrow up/down or
if you are in the iPod settings area and you can simply interact with
the table of playlists you wish to sync with your iPod and use the
regular arrow keys to move through the table or of course you can use
the VO navigation as well.
I just want to better understand what your doing exactly. In all cases
I have not had any problems with navigating using VO-keys or regular
arrow keys. Can you explain a little more and also explain at which
point iTUnes crashes? I'm assuming iTunes quits and you get the
Problem Reporter popup? Also, do you recall when this problem started?
I know there are a number of questions here, but want to be sure I
understand the situation as much as possible.