Hi,

Are you also receiving unicode?  What switch did you run telnet with?

You might also look in terminal preferences/encodings and see if the
right ones are checked.  I really have no idea if that would work but
that is what I would do.  Of course, you might have already done that.

Sorry if you all ready know this, but you can type man telnet and you
might find something helpful.