Hello Simon,

Simon Cavendish wrote:

> Has anyone successfully set aliases in MobileMe with VO? I tried many
> times yesterday but failed. Any tips?

I have set up mail aliases in MobileMe, although I have to say that it
was a lot easier to do in the previous incarnation as dot Mac.  You'll
need to work with the web interface to MobileMe, which is where the
current accessibility issues are.  I've found it much easier if I set
my mouse cursor to track my VoiceOver cursor for the navigation
options under VoiceOver utility, though I'm not sure it's necessary
now for setting up aliases.  In the past there were some instances
where I could not select with VO-Space, but had to click with VO-Shift-
Space, in order to choose options.  If I didn't have cursor tracking
turned on, I couldn't reliably make selections.  Since I've generally
found that the accessible performance of the MobileMe web interface is
better, or at least equally good when using the Webkit nightly builds
instead of Safari, I'll describe the procedure of setting up mail
aliases for MobileMe using the latest Webkit nightly build to log into
your MobileMe web page and using DOM navigation for web navigation
preferences.  Another general comment:  The web format of MobileMe
appears to substitute the Control key for the Command key in normal
Mac shortcut key sequences and preferences.  By that, I mean that if
you have selected "Mail" from the MobileMe web options, you can reply
to messages you read with Control-R instead of Command-R, compose new
mail with Control-N instead of Command-N, forward messages with Shift-
Control-F instead of Shift-Command-F, etc.  And the shortcut to bring
up preferences for the MobileMe web form of mail is Control-Comma
instead of Command-Comma.  This helps a lot if you want to use the
MobileMe web pages to read and respond to your mail.  The other
general comment is that when navigating to preferences use item
chooser menu.  Somehow, the separate windows (for preferences and for
the mail messages area) don't appear to be well separated under
MobileMe's web site, and contents appear jumbled together.  So in
order to move to the various preference panes, you won't be able to
use window chooser menu to navigate; you're going to have to use item
chooser menu to navigate to the pane selections, including the one for
setting aliases.  I found I couldn't reliably activate the "Add new
alias" link unless I had cursor tracking on.

1. Log in with your user name and password at MobileMe's web page at:
http://www.me.com
(There is a setting under your local machine's mail accounts
preferences (brought up with Command-Comma) where, if you select
MobileMe as the account, there will be an "Edit E-mail aliases" button
on the "Account Information" tab, but this only brings up he MobileMe
web page  set to mail.  I find it much easier to ignore this and
simply log into the MobileMe web page myself, then choose the "mail"
and bring up mail preferences for the web page with Control-Comma.)
For example, if your MobileMe email is address is
"simoncavend...@me.com" you would type the part before the AT sign
into the user name text edit field (e.g.,"simoncavendish"), then tab,
then type in your MobileMe password.

2. After you've logged in, interact with the HTML area.  You're
probably in your Mail utility, but in general, if you VO-Right arrow
after interacting, you'll hear the different MobileMe selection option
links announced: "Mail", "Contacts", "Calendar", "Gallery", "iDisk",
and "Account Settings".  Press (VO-Space) on your selected link (in
this case, use VO-Space on the first link, which is mail) to select
this option.  As I said, I think this may default to "Mail" if there
were no previous selections, and you can VO-Right arrow to the mailbox
selections and then to the messages table.

3. Press Control-Comma to bring up your mail preferences.  I'll quote
from "Take Control of MobileMe" for the description of preferences:
<begin quote>
Configure MobileMe Mail Preferences
When you choose  > Preferences, MobileMe presents five sets
of preferences: General, Composing, Viewing, Aliases, and Other.
Click one of those icons to display a view containing that category.
When you’re finished modifying preferences (in one or more views),
click the Save button at the bottom; to discard changes and return
to your previous location, click Cancel.
<end quote>

4. Use item chooser menu (VO-I) and start typing your selection, e.g.
"Aliases", then carriage return or VO-Space to choose the item chooser
menu option and be directed to the icon.  VO-Space to activate this
menu option.

5. Use item chooser menu again, and type "Alias". Arrow down to the
entry for "Create or delete an Alias" and either press return or VO-
Space to select it.

6. VO-Right arrow from "Create or delete an Alias".  If you have
aliases you'll hear the following columns annouced: "Active", "Alias",
"Name (appears in 'From')", and "Color".  To create a new alias, VO-
Right arrow to the "Add new alias" link and select it with VO-Space.

7. VO-Right arrow to "add new alias text" and type in the alias name
you want to use. All names must be 3-20 characters.  This is the
portion that preceded the AT me.com part of the address.  You're also
warned: "Note: Your alias will be created immediately. Once you create
a MobileMe Mail alias, that alias name cannot be re-used as a regular
MobileMe subscriber name even if you stop using it as an alias."

8. VO-Right arrow to type in the name you want associated with your
alias (that will appear in the "From" field).

9. VO-Right arrow to either the "cancel" or "create" link and VO-Space
to choose your selection -- either adding your new alias or canceling.

10. When you have finished adding aliases, VO-Right to the "Cancel" or
"Save" link and make your selection.

Now when you compose mail or replies in mail, there will be a pop up
button after the "From" field that lets you select the alias you wish
to use.

HTH.

Sorry for the long delay in answering, but I've been traveling with
only very intermittant internet access.

Cheers,

Esther