Ok I think Clarification is needed here

OS X did and I'm not sure if it still does come in 2 slightly
different variants.

1. the retail variant which  will install on any given machine as long
as the minimum hardware spec is met.
cant remember exactly but from memory its a dvd capable drive, a usb
port and possibly a firewire port,  and i think a 1ghz intel or 900
Mhz PPC

2. the hardware packaged variant did have specific checks in the
installer for the actual hardware it was distributed with. I'm not
sure if they are still doing this though.

There is no licensing keys built in to OS X so there is no issue with
using a single purchased disc on multiple machines.  That said your
personal morals will guide you into the appropriate purchase/fair use
policy.

I hope this clarifies things

Kieren