To clarify on a couple of your questions:

2.
Networking stuff is pretty standardized now days so your Mac will play
well on most any wireless or wired network.

3.
Some printers and scanners are well supported and some are not. Depends
on the model.

4.
Yes, Voiceover can be activated after booting off the OSX installer DVD.
In other words, you can do a from the ground up wipe and reinstall
without sighted assistance. I suspect that was the gist of your question
and not so much about how to upgrade the hard drive.

6.
OSX is unix underneath but Apple's GUI and frameworks running on top. So
while ORCA could be ported to the mac it would be a substantial bit of
work to get it hooked into all the Apple stuff. If there wasn't a good
screen reader built-in somebody might undertake the effort but it's
probably not worth it. Diehard unix folks port all kinds of stuff to the
mac. MacPorts has around 6000 packages in its library so if you're into
that kind of thing take a poke at macports.org.

While you didn't ask, note that all macs made since 2006 run on Intel
processors so there is a thriving industry in virtual machines for the
Mac. In other words you can either do a multi-boot setup for Windows/Mac
or run Windows in a window on your mac. Turns out the Mac actually is
one of the faster (some say the fastest) windows laptop on the market.
Most folks seem to like the VMWare Fusion route which puts Windows(or
linux or whatever) in a window which works fairly well. It makes for a
nice 'safety net' as you get more comfortable on the Mac.

CB