From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of patrickneazer
Sent: Sunday, 19 July 2009 10:34 p.m.
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: IPhone accessibility

Hello Simon and all:

One question you might want to consider is the issue of expandability. I am
a user of a nokia 6650 with Mobile Speak and I love it. However, the number
of applications that will work with it is not as robust as the Iphone.
Second, while both my Mobile Speak and voiceover upgrades are free, the
method of upgrading is quite different. I do not know about talks because I
have never used it. However, if it is anything like Mobile Speak I cannot
upgrade it independently. The only reason I make a point of this is the
ability of being able to keep up with the latest updates to a system rather
than being one step behind. Furthermore, does it make sense to have to pay a
transfer cost if you either lose your phone or decide you want or need a new
one. In the case of Mobile Speak, if you change phones for whatever reason
there is a transfer cost. I do not know how it works with Talks. If I want
another Iphone I just get another Iphone without incurring any additional
costs for things beyond my control which may have resulted in the phone's
loss or just for the freedom of wanting something different.

There are a few more reasons I can mention though I will point out only one
more ... with this arrangement of the Iphone and AT&T, the entire customer
service flow is for the first time under one roof. If I have a problem with
the Iphone I am able to take it to AT&T and they can be of assistance
without necessarily farming it out to someone else and if they do farm it
out to someone else ... that would be Apple and they would know that I am on
the way (smile). With Mobile Speak it could be a mobile speak issue which I
would have to go to Code Factory, it could be a phone problem where Nokia
would have to be called in, it could be a billing problem where the Phone
company would have to be tapped and, if I had a problem with the actual
purchase of Mobile Speak and I did not purchase it from Code Factory I then
would have to deal with AT&T's office of national disability concerns which
is a completely separate operation from AT&T. I like the one umbrella that
the Iphone has the potential to provide. I have both and love both and see
the advantages to each.

Just my two cents contributed to the discussion. No matter what your final
conclusion, it will be a good one.

Take good care.