Hi,

I've had trouble getting the iPhone Maps app to work as I would want
it to.  I read the chapter on iPhone Maps in the documentation
(chapter 13) about five times and still cannot figure out how to get
it to tell me my current location as a street name or something useful
but, instead, I always seem to hear it in degrees, minutes, seconds
which would be great if I was in a sailboat somewhere off in the ocean
but, in Cambridge, it's fairly useless.  Also, I cannot seem to figure
out how to announce my turns while walking and the documentation is
ambiguous on this matter.

The biggest technology hurdle involved in turn by turn announcementsis
that pedestrians rarely walk fast enough (most GPS systems require 5
mph as their minimum speed) to provide the system with a little bit of
sloppiness.  The iPhone has a compass and some other nifty little
items that it can use to calculate  a more accurate "current" position
and should work reasonably well even if you are standing still.

Of course, because it uses a combination of GPS, mobile phone towers,
WiFi routers (if you have WiFi turned on) and a few other tricks, it
is always best to be outdoors when you ask for your current location
as all sorts of weirdness can happen when you add in the echo effects
caused by being indoors.

The second major technical hurdle, that even Sendero can't get exactly
right, is defining the meaning of an intersection.  Almost all GPS
systems that are designed for an automobile uses the point at the
center of the rectangle created by the intersection of the two
streets.  If these are relatively wide streets, that center point may
be as much as 20 or more meters from the corner on which you are
standing and a GPS system may say that you are that twenty metrs away
from its idea of the intersection's location.  A pedestrian sees an
intersection as four separate corners while much locative software and
databases only see that center point and, as a result, provide
directions that one may find misleading.  Knowing this, of course,
will help you a lot as, assuming you have reasonably good orientation
skills, you will figure out where the corners are and, at that point,
use the directional software as a hint more than a precise indicator
of where you are and what you should do.

None of the above mentioned flaws are Apple's fault.  They all exist
in the state of the art GPS solutions available for hundreds of
dollars.  I personally think the Sendero group who licenses their
engine to a bunch of different AT vendors does a great job as a
pedestrian oriented system but, as above, they make their share of
mistakes when precision is important.

I think I heard in one of Shane Jackson's podcasts that one can use an
external GPS receiver with the iPhone.  If so, I highly recommend the
Holux 1200 which fits on your key chain and does the best I've ever
seen and only costs about $50.  I don't know the iPhone Maps program
on a detailed technical level but, if like most GPS programs, it uses
the "confidence level" reported by the GPS receiver, the Holux device
will be an incredible asset to those who rely on GPS for orientation
purposes.  Also, this is not a slam on Apple, virtually all of the GPS
receivers built into mobile phones provide far less than optimal
precision.

On the good side of the app, you can put it into pedestrian mode, type
in your source and destination or use your current position as the
source location and it will generate a set of instructions for you.
On the map page (by default it's a visual representation - maybe, in
some future version, Apple can change the default to text if VO is
detected as running)  you will find a button near the bottom that says
"list" which will turn the map into a list of textual information that
you can use to plan your walk.

When you go into pedestrian mode, the app tells you that it is still a
beta and that one should use great caution (or something similar) and,
in my use, I've found that it, in walking mode, still considers the
direction of one way streets and doesn't provide optimal walking
directions as people on foot don't care about which way the automotive
traffic runs.

I haven't really pounded on the app so I haven't tried rotaries or
really complex six way intersections which the Boston area made famous.

So, I expect it will get better in the future as virtually all of the
Apple things seem to do but past performance is not necessarily an
indicator of future performance (just ask a friend who used to work at
Lehman Brothers).

Over the past few years, I've spent a lot of time evaluating various
GPS solutions.  If you go to my blog (http://www.blindconfidential.blogspot.com
) and search on "GPS" within the blog, you will find a number of
articles about all sorts of things, mostly for Windows Mobile or
Symbian handsets.

Enjoy,
cdh