Yes, mail can be backed up by doing the following:
1.  Go to your home folder.
2.  Go to library.
3.  Go to the folder called mail.
4.  Do not open the folder.   Just use command c to copy it.
5.  go and create a folder with a name like
backup archive of my mail
or whatever name you like,
putting it somewhere you know where it is.
6.  Go to the archive folder you just made.  Open it, and use command
v to put your mail folder there.
That is all.