Well, not sure how much of an answer this will be, but I'm currently
running 18 different acounts now.  Granted they are all gmail
acounts, but they seem to do ok.  Use rules to move mail from some
specific addresses into certain oxes, and rules to move specific e-
mail group mails into specific boxes.  Also have my e-mail set to
check every minute, and it doesn't seem to overwhelm it, but have a
relatively fast internet connection as well.