Hello,
However, the tech tool is run from a bootable DVD and is not
accessible as far as I know. it's made by a third party developer.
You should be able to do it over the phone. Just get your serial
number from about this mac under the Apple menu, or in System
Profiles. You will also need someone to read the AppleCare product
number which is on the paperwork that came with the package. When you
call Apple, make sure you get to AppleCare.
When I purchased my Macs, I always purchased the AppleCare protection
at the same time and was automatically enrolled. So I hope I gave the
right info.