Hi,

I notice a lot people are complaining that Apple did not include the
voices they now include with the iPhone 3Gs also in Snow Leopard.
There may be a lot of reasons why they have not done that. I am not
sure it is fair to say it is ridiculous of Apple without knowing the
reasons behind it. Maybe the company they are licensing those voice
from for the iPhone 3Gs is asking a ridiculously high amount per copy
of Snow Leopard Apple will sell. Snow Leopard is sold much cheaper
than most updates yet has been worked on for two years by a large team
of engineers. I think that is nothing to sneeze at. Also, while people
accept the lower quality of those voices for a mobile device, would
the majority of Mac users accept it for Mac OS X on a desktop machine?
Furthermore, do those voices support all the features needed for
Speech Manager compatibility, or would that first require years of
work? And, what about the third party voices? For Mac OS X there are
multiple third party voices available for a wide range of languages.
Should Apple just kill that business and possibly stifle innovation on
the Mac platform in the voice area because voices in multiple
languages already come free with the OS. For third parties it is hard
to compete with free stuff, even if the third party stuff is of better
quality. I know it would be bad for our business, but in the long run,
it might actually also be bad for end-users. Things are not simply
black or white.

Anyway, I think there may be plenty of reasons for Apple's decision
that we as outsiders do not know about. Some of those reasons you and
I might consider good others we might consider bad, but I personally
do not think we know enough about the issues involved to call it
ridiculous, especially after all Apple has been doing these last
couple of years in the accessibility area.

Cheers,

david.