Hi,

The "industry standard" for statics packages is SSPS and I do not know
if there is a Macintosh version.  Peter Orem (probably misspelled) in
the UK wrote a set of JAWS scripts and tends to keep them up to date
so he and other blinks can use the program.

Math in general is a very touchy subject around people with vision
impairment.  LaTeX is an excellent notation system but was designed to
generate nicely formatted print output.  Knuth (now a professor at
Stanford who hates being bothered), authored of TeX and LaTex and, in
one of his fairly rare public statements expressed near shock that
people were using the tools to actually manipulate equations.

I would recommend the Nimith (also likely misspelled) or DotsPlus
(John Gardner of ViewPlus) Braille systems for math.  Both were
designed from the ground up to be used by blind people (Nimith and
Gardner are both blind)  and both take up less very expensive real
estate on a refreshable display.  You can contact Gardner personally
at ViewPlus, I think Abe Nimith is long retired and probably hard to
find.

The basic differences in the systems is that Gardner uses an 8 dot
output and Nimith, being much older, uses only the original 6 dots.
While Gardner can fit more information in a single, thus furthering
the efficiency of those expensive cells, it is far less widely known
so, if you encounter other blinks, they will be more likely to know
Nimith than any of the eight or nine other systems, including Gardner,
out there for math.  If you live in Australia, though, you will find a
whole lot of DotsPlus users doing math with Braille - I've no clue why
people down under embraced that system over the others except that, to
many people, it is thought to be superior and because fewer cells so a
smaller Braille display  will work decently.

Once again, I don't know if SSPS has a version for Macintosh nor do I
know if the Macintosh Braille output can jump in and out of different
translation tables (does anyone here switch from English to another
human language and back using Braille?).  There are other math
packages: Mathematica, MathCAD for instance,   that may have Macintosh
versions  but I know not if they support jumping in and out of the
tactile systems like Nimith and DotsPlus.

Ted Henter is actively working on his HenterMath program again but it
will definitely not be done in time for your coursework this fall.

I think that both Freedom Scientific and Humanware have low cost
Nimith tutorials for PAC Mate and BrailleNote respectively.  I've
never used either  so I can't not give a first hand endorsement but
the one from FS grew out of the very popular Nimith tutorial sold (or
was it given away)  by Blazie back in the old days.

I know of lots of people working on various aspects of handling math
without vision.  You might look up Art Carshmer, a professor at UC San
Francisco, for whom math for blinks has been nearly his entire
research career.  There are others out there and, if you are
interested, write to me off list and I can help you with introductions
and such as the information above is nearly 100% of what I can recall
about this subject on my first cup of coffee.

Happy Hacking,
cdh