Hmm, Apple has gotten a little better in this regard, but diagnosis of
sending failures is still tricky.

There is a entire conversation that goes on, and the SMTP server will
either say
250 OK
or 4XX Error message

Where the error message might be "Unauthorized from address", or
"Message too large" or "Unknown recipient".

When I have encountered these problems I would attempt the SMTP
conversation by hand. You might be able to see it in the activity
monitor but it probably happens too fast.

I have seen some rules to follow with Googles's server but I can't
answer in general.

Try to get somebody with eyes to watch the activity window while you
send. The only other thing I can  think to do would be to open a
terminal window and run snoop on that. Snoop would allow you to watch
the SMTP conversation, if it is not SSL encrypted.
Jon

On Aug 27, 2009, at 6:57 PM, terre...@terrencevak.net wrote:

> Ah, OK, will have to check on my cursor tracking then.
> For the messages, I just get a dialog box that says the message
> couldn't
> be sent using the server I'd chosen, and giving me the options to
> choose
> a server, send with the selected server, try later, etc.
>
> Thanks again,
> Terrence

>>> servers.  I got the thing set up OK, and Connection Doctor says that