Sometimes a large surface with tactile clues is very efficient,
especially when one is trying to deal with angles, distances and other
relationships between tactile bodies.  I would use a tactile atlas as
an example.  If, for instance, you wanted to judge the distance
between New York and Philadelphia compared to the distance between San
Francisco and Los Angeles, with a tactile map, you can feel the ratio
of distances and understand them by simple comparison.

I agree that just making buttons into tactile objects is more glitz
than impact but I can think of some very worthwhile applications for a
refreshable tactile screen - flow charts, organization charts, other
tools that are assembled with boxes and arrows, a spreadsheet where
blank cells often waste a blink's time trying to find the meat of the
sheet...

cdh