Hi Dónal,

Very interesting, since I hadn't heard about Tunnelblick before.  Your
email did get through. We've seen this issue of the status menu not
being accessible before.  It ran all the way from the case for
DropBox, where using the window chooser menu (VO-F2 twice) brought up
an option for "untitled" that rooted to the icon in the status menu
bar (so you could click), to more common instances where you can't
find anything.  See this post in the list archives:

http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/msg06473.html
(Apps with status bar menus that VoiceOver can't get to [was Re:
Caffine application for the MAC])

In the case of the Caffeine app, they provided hooks for AppleScript
control (and I just realized I had the typo of an extra "s" at the end
of "application" in my command to turn the App off -- should have been:
tell application "Caffeine" to turn off
in case Gary needs to use this.)

There's a link at the bottom of that post to a query about status bar
accessibility in the Apple Developer mailing lists:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/accessibility-dev/2009/Apr/msg00007.html

You might be able to get around the issue by using Mouse keys to move
along the status menu bar in the x direction, and just measure how
many key presses you need to go from an icon that VoiceOver recognizes
to the one for Tunnelblick, then click with your mouse on where the
icon is supposed to be and bring up the menu.

Could you not try writing to the developer?

Cheers,

Esther