I didn't see an answer to your first question. Yes you can just hold the
C key to boot up of the CD/DVD drive. Once the machine is booted you can
do Apple-F5 to start up voiceover and complete the installation. On
laptops the F5 doubles as the volume up key so you might have to do
Function-Apple-F5 to let it know you really meant F5 and not volume up.

I haven't tried Snow Leopard on my laptop yet so I can't answer your
second question. I don't believe those trackpads are multi-touch, but I
don't see why that would preclude some of the other gestures from working.

CB