Hay,

You might try the button labeler.  I haven't tried it yet so I can't
tell you anything about it.

The app you are trying to is is accessible as far as java apps go.  If
it wasn't, you would be able to tell if there were buttons or anything
els.  As I said before though, java still has a ways to go before it's
100 percent friendly with screenreaders.  Even on the Mac.  Allot of
things in regards to controls being labeled correctly is largely up to
the developers and what they do or don't do.

It's my understanding that java on the Mac is Apple's own
implementation so I'm not sure way it's not more reliable in terms of
accessibility than it is, but hopefully it will get better.
Hopefully someone else may have more suggestions then I do.