I've found two things that help with this. First, be sure that Quick
Nav is off. Otherwise, VO gets stuck when it hits a submenu. Second.
try arrowing down the menu without using the VO keys and then entering
a submenu similarly. (Use the down arrow without holding anything
else. Then hit the right arrow when you get to the sub you want. Then
down or up as necessary.) This has been working for me -- as long as I
remember to turn Quick Nav off first.Howard