Hi Donna,

You're welcome.  Most Mac users know about AppleScripts as something
they can add to extend the functionality of their applications -- not
as something they program.  There is, for  example, a huge repertoire
of  AppleScripts at a site called "AppleScripts for iTunes" that are
donationware.  Most of these are written by the site's owner, Douglas
Adams.  Up till last fall, when Apple gave users the ability to move
tracks into the audiobooks library by editing tracks with "Get
Info" (Command-I) and changing the Media Kind setting on the Options
pane from "Music" to "Audiobooks", the standard way to turn tracks you
had ripped (as AAC format) from CD into "Audiobooks" was to get the
"MakeBookmarkable" AppleScript from this site, put it into your ~/
Library/iTunes/Scripts folder, and then highlight your tracks and
select "MakeBookmarkable" from the AppleScript menu of iTunes.  There
are many other useful scripts for Mac users at that site that can be
used to check for duplicates, put playlists into folders, replay the
last bit around your current position in a track, etc.

Anna's suggestion to use the LCD panel is useful if you have paused
your track.  This is a player status window above the songs table.  If
you start playing a track and then pause it midway (by using the space
bar as a play/pause toggle key), you can stop interacting with the
songs table, VO-Up arrow to the LCD section and interact, and then use
VO-arrow keys to read off the song name and artist and other
information like the elapsed time and the time remaining.  The "Show
Current Song" button in the LCD area highlights the currently playing
song in the songs table.  This can be useful if, after a a song has
started playing, you continue to browse with your VO-arrow keys and
highlight other tracks in the songs table.  However, you're most
likely to want to use the "Show Current Song" Command-L shortcut,
which works from anywhere in iTunes.  The shortcut works whether the
track is actually playing or only paused.  So, in trying to create a
ringtone and determining the start and stop times to use, you can use
the RestartAt AppleScript to set the start time for your ringtone,
listen and pause the track where you want to end it, then check the
elapsed time in the LCD panel and use that for the stop time that you
enter on the options panel along with your start time.  Then just play
the track through and make minor adjustment to the start and stop
times on the options pane.  The LCD area can also be used to monitor
syncing and downloads onto your iPod or iPhone.

If you want an overview of iTunes, a good source (although it covers
iTunes 7, not 8) is at Tim Kilburn's VoiceOver pages for this:

http://homepage.mac.com/kilburns/voiceover/itunes7.html

There are also some good descriptions of the most useful key
combinations in his iTunes 6 write-up:

http://homepage.mac.com/kilburns/voiceover/itunes6.html

Some of these details will not be accurate for iTunes 8, and there
will be no mention of the newer features  (such as the ability to
copy, cut, and paste in playlists, or other additional features in the
contextual menu, nor of the current ways to navigate the iTunes Store.)

There are quite a lot of other good tips and tricks and information
about other apps.  Just check the sidebar of Tim's web page.

Cheers,

Esther