Hi John,
Upon further investigation, the behavior seems to be inconsistent. You
can open folders by hitting the router button above the first letter.
However, when I go into my hard drive, and select the applications
folder, I cannot open any program I see in the list. As an example,
voiceover repeatedly says "S" when pressing the first router button
over safari.
When you said you launched safari from your desktop, I'm assuming you
had a shortcut to it on there? Or did you go into your applications
folder and do it from there?
Thanks,
John