Hi Scott,

Command-Option-F is, indeed, a useful command, but it's actually one
of the first commands I was ever able to use in iTunes, even before it
became fully accessible, and has worked in every version of iTunes
that I've used.   In fact, it was mentioned as part of a reply to one
of your questions last year (a follow-up to the main question).  It's
a quick way to get to the "Burn Disc" button if you are burning a
playlist to CD or DVD; use Command-Option-F to move to the search
field and then VO-Down arrow to the "Burn Disc" button and press it
(VO-Space).  Of course, now we can also issue the burn command from
the context menu of the playlist in the sources table with VO-Shift-M,
but at the time you either had to find this button or find the command
under the File menu of the iTunes menu bar, which you can also still
do.  I'll excerpt bits from the archived discussion post at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss%40macvisionaries.com/msg36685.html

I'll add some new comments about this command and iTunes 9 at the end
of the excerpted discussion:

<begin excerpt>
> On Jun 20, 2008, Scott Rutkowski wrote:
>
>> HI all.
>>
>> can anyone who uses iTunes tell me if you make a playlist in iTunes,
>> is there a way of finding out the total time of the playlist itself?
>> I've made a playlist and am trying to find out the total time so I
>> can burn it to an audio cd.
>> Any info would be great.
>>
>> Thanks.

Cara responded:

>  Hi Scott, Good mornin'!  <smile>  Use the item chooser to locate
> the burn disc button and then VO left arrow once.  You'll see the
> total number of songs, the total time, and the total size.
>
> HTH

and I wrote:

Hi Cara and Scott,

Another way to get to the burn button without having to use
the item chooser is to VO-down arrow from the search text
field.  I like doing it that way because I can either tab to the
search text field or go to it directly with Command-Option-F.

So, Cara's instructions could be redone by replacing the
step about finding the burn button with the VO-down arrow
from the search text field and the VO-left arrow from there.

Incidentally, I check the total time and space even when I'm
not on a playlist, so there isn't always a "burn button" -- on
a music library or for podcasts this action of VO-down from
the search text field would take me to the "Browse" button,
and I could still VO-left to the summary infomation.  This
is a good way to find out when your podcasts library is
getting really large!

I didn't give these directions, because the button you get
(browse, burn etc.) when you VO-down from the search
text field changes depending on what's in your source
list selection, and that seemed too confusing to summarize,
but this is faster -- even faster if you skip item chooser.

Cheers,

Esther

<end excerpt>

I'll first note that the fast way to check total time, number of
items, of disk space in a playlist is simply to VO-Down arrow from the
songs table and you'll hear a summary, for example:

  20 audiobooks, 4:22:08:12 total time, 1.70 GB

If you click on the field, you can change between more or less
detailed time reporting formats, for instance:

  20 audiobooks, 4.9 days, 1.70 GB

This can be useful even if you're not burning tracks to CD or DVD, but
just trying to design playlists or thinking about how much space the
music you plan to transfer to your iPod will take up.

Secondly, when I inserted a blank CD to check that these instructions
still worked for iTunes 9 something odd happened: my file browser
behavior reverted to the format that I used for iTunes 8, which I
actually prefer. Instead of just showing an "Artist column", I
recovered the three columns for "Genre", "Artist", and "Album". I
didn't recover the nice tabbing behavior of iTunes 8 between sources
table, search field, and songs table, but I still think this is an
improvement.  I'm still using Leopard, if it makes a difference, so I
haven't been having the same other issues navigating.

Final comments about Command-Option-F in another context: I use this
command all the time to go to the Google Search field in Safari. Even
though I hide the address bar (toggled between show and hide with
Command-Shift-backslash on an English input keyboard, or "Command-
Vertical line" as it is announced in the View menu options) and
bookmarks bar (Command-Shift-B toggle) in Safari, using this shortcut
doesn't keep the address bar open.  I press Command-Option-F and the
address bar opens.  I type in my search text and press return, and the
address bar closes again while my search is executed.

Using the Google Search bar (from Command-Option-F) for your searches
gives you access to another search results snapback key:  Command-
Option-S  will snap you back to your last search page.  This shortcut
only works if you used the Google Search bar to do your search. It
does not work if you ran your search by entering search terms in the
search field on the Google page.  If you used the Google Search bar
with Command-Shift-F, your search terms will show up in the Google
page search field, too.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther