I prefer to turn off preview pane when I'm going through the junk
folder.  This way the message isn't triggered as read before I
delete.  I don't even know for sure if this is necessary.  I've just
read posts that you will receive more spam if it appears read.  I have
no personal knowledge of this.

Brett