If you aren't trying to record it, couldn't you just use your built in
microphone as input and your external speakers? It's not recording quality
obviously, but depending on what you are doing, this set up will allow someone
to hear voiceover and any other sounds coming from your mac. You could probably
use whatever microphone you want as long as you are using the external speakers
for all of your sound.