Hi,
For me, the latest security update which  required a restart  broke
VoiceOver. I was  running intermission, and I switched the  output device on
the sound tab in VoiceOver utility from system default to instant on sound
effects. This was great because intermission no longer  affected VoiceOver.
However after the restart, VoiceOver did not have audio output. I needed
sighted assistant to switch back to system default.
I really love intermission, but it has given me some headaches.
Anyway, if you are running intermission, you will want to make sure you have
the output device set to system default in VoiceOver Utility before  installing
the latest security update.
Rod