Hello,

I personally use a Fujitsu ScanSnap document scanner.
I purchased mine on Amazon for $250, which came with a very small scanner
that has an attached document feeder (10 pages), and AbbyFineReader.
Note: this will not scan textbooks, but it is merely for letters, postal
mail, and business cards, ETC.
Each scan takes approximately 7 seconds per page, which is duplex capable,
so both pages are scanned in one attempt.
I know others on this list use the same type of scanner, but different
models.

Hope this has been helpful.