From your description, I suppose you are not talking about robobraille?
www.robobraille.org.
They do convert files rather swiftly, conv...@robobraille.org.
the only software I recall ispdftotext, which could indeed be installed and is an open source tool.
 Kare

On Mon, 5 May 2014, Alex Hall wrote:

I don't remember, that's the problem. By "service", I mean a service you
install, like an Automator service, not something you sign up for or use online. I used
to be able to find a PDF, hit a keystroke, and have a text file appear. It was great.