As a relatively new user of Pages, I have encountered the bug wherein it is not
possible to select text that spans page boundaries. I sent feedback to Apple
through the menu option. However, while it is not possible to select text
across page boundaries in a forward direction, I have found that it can be done
moving backwards through the document.
So, While one cannot select the entire document from the beginning of the doc
and then pressing shift command down  arrow (select to end of file), one can
select the entire doc from the bottom of the document and pressing shift
command up  arrow (select to top of file).
(note: I am not sure that selecting the entire document is subject to the bug,
so the above statement may not apply).
Where this fact comes in most handy is selecting multiple paragraphs, or even a
single paragraph that spans page boundaries. I select these conditions by
moving to the end of the last paragraph to be selected, and then using the
shift option up arrow command to select the desired paragraphs. doing so
selects the paragraphs where trying to select them from the first to the last
will result in the known text selection bug.
I haven't tested this workaround very extensively, so others may want to give
it a more thorough going over.  But, it does work  well as far as I have taken
it.

Hope this helps, and I hope I'm not just re-discovering and telling of common
knowledge.