Hi Stan,

This isn't Anna, but her instructions for sorting on a column should
work.  In any table (e.g., mail messages, finder, the iTunes songs
table) you can sort the column by interacting with the table,
navigating to the column of interest, and using VO-Shift-Backslash.
And yes, on an English input keyboard the Shift-Backslash is a
Vertical line.  One other input language keyboards these symbols are
mapped to other keystroke combinations.  An alternative way to bring
up the sort command is to use VO-H twice to bring up the Command menu
and choose "Sort Column".  Are you holding down the Control and Option
keys (VO keys) when you press Shift-Backslash?  Have you interacted
with the table and are on the "Date Received" column?

Cheers,

Esther