Jean,
I think somebody answered your  question about the image reports of no faces
earlier. It's in the VO Utility / speech / help tags.  By setting it to "do
nothing", help tags, which is what those image descriptions are,  will not be
announced.
You won't get any other help tags announced either though. I think there is a
keystroke to have the help tag spoken on the fly which I can't find right now.

I can't answer your question about the notification centre, sorry.

Lisette