I didn't notice this mentioned on the list previously. I was one of the
speakers at the NFB Web Accessibility Day in Baltimore MD on Tuesday and
during the lunch Marc Maurer, President of the NFB, gave out some awards
to companies they felt were leaders in the accessibility space. In
particular they gave an award of commendation to Apple for the iPhone
and iPod touch for doing what many folks said could not be done - to
make a touch screen UI fully accessible. I know that the NFB in the past
has been a follower in recognizing the feat of design and engineering
that accessibility on the iPhone is but it sounds like at least the top
brass are now fully aware as Dr. Maurer gave clear praise to Apple and
the work done there. Lets hope NFB now give full and fair promotion in
the rest of its communications.

http://www.nfb.org/nfb/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=468&SnID=1364143865

As a side note, it was interesting to overhear the questions folks had
of the Apple rep before and after the presentation. Some wanted to know
more or how it worked (apparently having never tried an iPhone/iPod
Touch). The Apple rep also pointed out that the gesture technology has
been backported to Snow Leopard for use with trackpads which was warmly
received. I'm sure everyone on this list is fully aware of these things
but it kind of surprised me that a room full of accessibility 'experts'
were so unaware.

CB