Hello.
Here are step by step instruction that a friend of mine wrote.
Hope this helps.
How To Create a Bootable Installation Of OS X Using an SD card, or USB Thumb
Drive
Jason Earls

Note: Be sure you have nothing important on the storage media you wish to use,
as this process will completely erase it. If you do need the contents of your
storage media, be sure to back it up some ware other than your Mac if you plan
on formatting your Mac's hard drive and reinstalling OS X.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED

1. A copy of the version of OS X you will be using to create your installation.
Note: For OS X V 10.7 and higher, this can be obtained by downloading a copy
from the App Store.

2. A SD card or USB thumb drive with around 8GB of available storage.
Note: The *.dmg file isn't 8GB in size. This is because the *.dmg is
compressed. This method will uncompress the disk image, thus requiring more
space than the size of the compressed .dmg, which is around 5GB normally.

INSTRUCTIONS

Note: It is assumed you will be using OSX V 10.7 or higher.

1. Upon successfully downloading the Install OS X application, you will be
presented with the OS X installer.
You may safely quit this installer, as we won't be using it in this fashion.

2. Locate the OS X install application which is normally located in your
Applications directory.
Note: Pressing Command+Shift+A in the Finder will take you to the Applications
directory.

3. right click  (press Control+Option+Shift+M for VoiceOver users), which will
open a context menu.

4. Click on or arrow down until you hear "Show package contents," and press
enter.

5. Upon clicking or pressing enter on "Show package contents," you will be
placed inside of the *.app folder.
Note: All files with the extension of *.app are actually folders, not files.

6. Open the "Contents" folder, which is the only folder inside the *.app folder.

7. Locate and open the "SharedSupport folder".
Note: Don't be tricked by the "MacOS" and "Resources" folders. I use to make
the same mistake myself.

8. There are two files inside this folder. They are: "InstallESD.dmg" and
OSInstall.mpkg". You will want the first which is "InstallESD.dmg".

9. Copy this to the clipboard, and paste it into another location that you can
remember later.
Note: After pasting the disk image into your preferred location, you'll want to
open it. You can close it's window when it opens.

10. If you haven't already done so, insert your preferred storage media into
your Mac.

11. In Finder, press Command+Shift+U to open the "Utilities" folder.

12. Arrow down to or click on "DiskUtility", and open it.

13. You will see a table with all of your disks including the *.dmg.
Note: In this table, the disk name shows up first, and under that is all of the
partitions on the disk.
Example: My hard drive shows up as "750.16 GB ST9750420AS Media". This is the
name of my hard drive, and under it is "Macintosh HD", which is the partition
ware OS X is installed.

14. Once you see that the disk image is indeed in the table, click on or press
the "Restore" tab.
Note: There are 5 tabs. They are: "First Aid", "Erase", "Partition", "RAID",
and "Restore".
Note: From now on, when the term "Interact" is used, it means that if you are
using VoiceOver, you must interact or this will not work. It's a bit tricky to
deal with for some reason.

15. Interact with the "Selected disks" table.

16. Using the VoiceOver keys (Control+option+up, down, left, or right) locate
the item "Install Os X ESD".

17. Right click it, which should bring up a menu. You should be able to arrow
up and down it. Choose the option "Set as source".
Note: You actually have to right click it.  Using Control+Option+Shift+M
doesn't seem to work. Also, you have to rout the mouse to the item first, which
is Control+Option+F5. On a portable computer, you'll need to ad the FN key
unless you've changed it in System Preferences.

18. In the same disks table, locate your storage media. If you know the size of
it, it may help you in locating it.
Note: As stated above, your disks and drives show up like this. Drive name
first, partition name second. The drive name normally has the size of the drive
in the name. See the example above. You could also Command+Tab back to finder
and find it either on your desktop, or by pressing Command+Shift+C, which will
bring you to "Computer" ware all of your drives show up.

19. Right click and choose "Set as destination".
Note: Again, you'll need to rout the mouse and actually right click for this to
work correctly. See above.

20. If done correctly, you can see if everything is set up the way it should be
by telling VoiceOver to stop interacting with the table, and looking in the
Disk Utility window.
Note: Source should be "Install ESD" and Destination should be whatever your
storage media is called.

21. Click or press the "Restore" button if all is set correctly.
Note: Looking in the Disk Utility window, will show you what your Mac is doing
and the amount of time it will take. Don't worry if this takes around half an
hour, this is normal. The Mac is copying the disk image over piece by piece
exactly.

22. Once the restore is finished, your Mac may open the OS X install media for
you. You may close it if you wish.

23. Sense actually going through the install is outside the scope of this
guide, you are done and should have a perfectly working copy of the OS X
installer on your thumb drive or SD card.
Congratulations!

FURTHER NOTES

1. To interact with an item, press Control+Option+Shift+Down arrow. Pressing Up
arrow will stop interacting.
2. If you have the Mouse cursor following the VoiceOver cursor, you still may
have to rout the mouse with Control+Option+F5.
3. To perform a right click with the mouse, press Control while pressing the
mouse down.
4. If you wish to run the installer without rebooting your Mac, open the OS X
install media, and then open "OSInstall.mpkg", and follow the onscreen
instructions.
5. If you wish to reinstall OS X and reformat your Mac's Hard drive, you will
have to shut down your Mac, turn it on while holding down the Option key, and
wait for about 1-2 seconds after hearing the startup chime before letting go of
the Option key. You are in a boot menu that VoiceOver won't be able to read.
Press Right arrow once and then enter. Wait for a couple minutes and then try
turning on VoiceOver with Command+F5. If your Mac brings you to the LogIN
screen, try repeating the steps above, but press Right Arrow twice. You should
always be placed on your Mac's hard drive every time you press Option while
turning on your Mac.
6. Unless you have changed VoiceOver's voice at LogOn, another way to tell is
to know that the OS X installer uses Fred as VoiceOver's voice.
Alternatively, trying changing the system volume with your volume keys. I've
observed that you can not change the system volume using the volume keys if you
are booted into the OS X installer
Matt Dierckens
Macintosh Trainer
Blind Access Training
www.blindaccesstraining.com
1-877-774-7670 ext. 4
matt...@blindaccesstraining.com
Introduction to the Macintosh Operating system and voiceover course available
now. Take advantage of our 10% discount for the month of  June.
Spots are limited, sign up here
http://blindaccesstraining.com/training-courses/