Hi David,
I hope you will write to Apple accessibility requesting this feature. I have
done that, as I find it really inefficient to have to continuously press keys
to do something that the system should be smart enough to do on its own. If
window screen readers can do it and we can have it on the iPhone, we should
have it on the Mac. So please write Apple and maybe if enough of us do it, they
will implement.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone