You can pause Voice Over with the three finger double tap. Turn it on again
when needed to get into tools et cetera. Unless you are using Apple Maps with
tracking with direction wich is good app to confirm streets you need to learn
with Blind Square running at the same time. Male voice in Blind Square and
female in Voice Over for example. Turn off all the POI's under filter
announcements. Then you can concentrate on the streets. Some POI's will still
come through, but not many. You can still do a manual POI search, i assume.
Later, you can turn on POI's as you prefer.