Following the Snowden revelations, I'm working on bringing myself down from the
cloud a bit. Right now the only public cloud data I have is for website
hosting, and for my email account with iCloud. I'm thinking of bringing my mail
server in-house again soon.

I used to use Dropbox; I don't anymore. I appreciate the convenience, but the
data is unencrypted. I now use a combination of Arq to back up to Amazon
Glacier, and BitTorrent Sync for syncing between devices. Sharing is much
harder. Yes, it's less convenient, but it's more secure and I do care about
security. The trick is to encrypt your stuff before you deposit it on the cloud
whenever and wherever possible, thus making use of it as a backing store, but
one which can get lost or corrupt without incident. Make sure you have local
backups too, of course--you wouldn't want the disappearance of your cloud
provider to represent complete data loss.

Cheers,
Sabahattin