Usually, you are placed in a window showing all past conversation threads in a
table. Next to that is an HTML content area showing the history for the
selected thread, then a place to type a message to that thread. Left of the
threads table is a place showing who that thread goes to, which you can modify
if you like. Again, the fastest way to make a new message is cmd-n, or just
interact with the table and choose the thread with the person or people you
want to keep talking to. Let us know if you have more questions.
On Jul 8, 2014, at 9:03 PM, Donna Goodin <doniado...@me.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Alex.  this time when I opened messages it went straight to the To
> field, and when I typed her name, it autofilled her phone number, which was
> what I wanted.  thanks for the help, not sure why it went awry before.
> Cheers,
> Donna
> On Jul 8, 2014, at 7:54 PM, Alex Hall <mehg...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> Just hit cmd-n and start typing the name. If the person is in your contacts,
>> they will be auto-filled, just like typing an email recipient. If not, type
>> the Apple Id or phone number of the person instead. Move to the next text
>> field, type your message, and press enter. I'm not sure what you mean by
>> selecting how a message is sent; can you explain that more? Thanks.
>> On Jul 8, 2014, at 8:51 PM, Donna Goodin <doniado...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm running Mavericks, haven't installed the latest update.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to send a message using iMessage.  I don't seem to be able
>>> either to select a contact, or to indicate how I want the message sent,
>>> e.g. email, text, etc.  Is anyone able to use iMessage running Mavericks?
>>> If so, how are you selecting the message recipient?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Donna

>> Have a great day,
>> Alex Hall