Hi,

It's simply a visual thing.  It makes quotation marks angle one way for open
quotes and the opposite way for closing quotes, thus framing the quoted text in
a visually appealing fashion.  The global setting also changes period period
period into an ellipsis and dash dash into en-dash as a single entry. In many
ways, it's no big deal from either prospective since most sighted folks scan
over such things rather quickly when reading.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada