Zip? If Pages is a word processor then its got formatting which will expand such documents, contrary to plain text documents.

From The Believer. . .
  What if it were true?
ancient.ali...@icloud.com

On 8/1/2014 8:48 AM, David Goldfield wrote:
Unless I'm misremembering this, I thought I read that files generated in Pages
are actually the same as .zip files.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Tim Kilburn
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 11:40 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why are pages documents so large in file size

Hi,

Sort of like an app on the Mac.  There are data sets, embedded objects etc all
packaged into one item for you.  So, if you go to the Pages document, press
VO-shift-m on it and choose Show Package Contents, you can see what is included
in the document.  I'm not a developer or anything but I'm guessing that
packaging things this way better allows for accessing the documents across Mac
and iOS platforms and will make things easier in Yosemite and iOS 8 for opening
file formats without extra conversions.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada