Hmm. Couldn't you put an alias to all the apps you need in a folder and leave that on your desktop? Say you call the folder "Go". Then all you have to do is go to the desktop in finder (command-shift-D) then type Go to select the folder, then press command-O to open it, command-A to select all and then command-O again to open all the apps. A few keystrokes but I imagine after a while you could do them all in five seconds, no scripting required. If you're looking for an app, Quicksilver sounds like the right tool but I've never used it so I don't know how accessible it is: http://qsapp.com/about.php

CB