FWIW, Sophos AV for Mac is also free and mostly accessible.  Of course, it has
a commercial counterpart in the Windows world, and Sophos are eager that you
should be dependent on them.  I used it with success to clear up my virus
collection from my Windows days.

My personal recommendation is not to bother with AV on OS X at all, but to
simply practice safe computing.  Services like VirusTotal mean that you can
scan files of uncertain provenance if you have the need, which should almost
never be the case if you're downloading from trusted sources and have done your
research properly.