FLV or Flash Video is a container which can hold any number of video formats. The older ones used the Sorenson or On2 codecs while the newer ones now support h.264 (MPEG4). So FLV in of itself may or may not have the old junky video formats. One quick way to tell is to just rename the .flv to .mp4 and try to open it with Quicktime Player. Most content sites have moved to MPEG as the other codecs are not generally supported on mobile devices. So if you have an FLV, there is a good chance its something pretty old and probably in one of the old codecs.

All that said, Handbrake should be able to convert old FLVs to MPEG so you can use them on modern platforms.

https://handbrake.fr

CB