I tried downloading the OSX version of eSpeak but wasn't able to get very far with it. Of course I've never used the tool before. I downloaded it from here:

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/download.html

but when I typed

./speak "The quick brown fox"

it gave the error:

Can't read data file: '/usr/share/espeak-data/phontab'

I didn't have time to fiddle much more and figure out what files were supposed to live in that path.

CB