Hi May,

There are two things about the chapter navigation in iBooks for Mavericks I
have found that I will explain incase you aren't aware of them.
First, ibooks considers all subsections in a chapter as chapters.  So, even if
you press command-shift-left or right it will seem to you not to be doing
anything even though the content being displayed is changing.  You can
determine what is actually being displayed by routing the mouse to the scroll
area and reading the content with vo-command-f5.
Second, The next and prior chapter keys will not work for some reason if the
keyboard focus is in the scroll area or an html content area.  The solution is
just to get the keyboard focus onto one of the buttons and away from the html
content.
Hope this helps.

.