Odd, whatever works over ethernet should work over wifi, albeit more slowly.

Most Macs can do Gigabit ethernet which means they can transfer up to 100MB/second. Even a perfect connection on the latest 802.11N wifi peaks at 300Megabit (.3 Gigabit). I have my laptop and an old Mac tower hardwired to a GB hub with TimeMachine backups going to a drive on the tower. The thing easily hits 40-50MB/s transfer rates and I suspect the limiting factor is the slow low-power drive in the laptop.

For a decade or so Macs had built-in automatic crossover on the ethernet port. If you're not familiar, imagine you had two phones dialed up to two people. If you wanted those two people to talk to each other you could just push the handsets together but they would be ear to ear and mic to mic. That wouldn't work. You would need to flip one over so the ear is to the mic on the opposite phone. That's what a crossover cable in the Ethernet world does and, since you're on a Mac, it just does that for you. So you can always just plug two machines Ethernet connections together to set up an ad-hoc private fast network for flinging files and the like. The Mac also is smart enough to self-assign an address when it can't get one from a router, which is the case when you're direct connecting two machines. So you basically plug the machines together with some Cat5 cable, turn on file sharing and go.

CB