I think you are correct. Just having a MC, Visa or Amex card alone is not sufficient. It has to be issued by one of the supported banks which they list as "including" Bank of America, Capital One Bank, Chase, Citi and Wells Fargo. So they imply there are others, just not mentioned. In the press release they say "...coming quickly thereafter including Barclaycard, Navy Federal Credit Union, PNC Bank, USAA and U.S. Bank" so I guess that's it for now.

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/09/09Apple-Announces-Apple-Pay.html

CB

On 9/10/14, 12:55 AM, Brent Harding wrote:
I wonder with the Apple Pay, if it will work with any visa or MasterCard, or only if you bank with the small list of places they have? If I understand the announcement today, it would work anywhere contactless cards do, so most of the Google Wallet places. Supposedly there's many thousands of places capable of accepting that, yet I heard it almost makes you perceived as a hacker to use it. I think Apple agressively promoting it will make people aware at stores that tapping the phone to pay isn't an attack.

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Barry Hadder <mailto:bhad...@gmail.com>
    *To:* macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, September 09, 2014 10:53 PM
    *Subject:* Re: Apple - Live - September 2014 Special Event

    I personally don't believe that the Apple Watch is going to be
    that usable for us at the moment, at least it doesn't appear to me
    to be so.  I'm also not that concerned about it at the moment.
    I'm in total agreement with you regarding the credit card
    signatures, but that's going to take a little time I'm thinking
    before Apple pay really takes hold.  Many things that were shown
    today are going to be in some sort of experimental stage for quite
    some time.  That's what makes these Apple events different.
     Rather than show you current products, it's like they Travel into
    the future, bring stuff back, and put it into everyone's hands.  I
    guess I have to say that Google is like that as well, but Apple
    and Google seem to have very different philosophies.
    This being the case, some of the things they do seem a little out
    of place at first with present day but usually everybody comes
    around and embraces the new things.  So, many times when you use
    Apple stuff your using leading edge technology that is a little
    ruff around the edges and many others aren't using.  This is why
    they will point at you and call you a fan boy :).

    If you have a 5S, then I personally wouldn't worry at all about
    getting an iPhone 6.

    On Sep 9, 2014, at 9:37 PM, Eugenia Firth <gigifi...@me.com