Indeed.  You'd think Apple would know how to get this right by now, wouldn't
you?

I went back to BBC's production of The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, having quit
shortly after hearing the translator, and just listened to the address the
following morning.  Much better.  Also annoying, as I'd carved out that day
just for Apple.  Ingrates!

But I needn't have stressed.  Apple is no longer the company it was.  What,
exactly, was for show?  The AppleWatch can wait until it appears, and looks
like it's going to end up being a smaller iPhone anyway regardless of
potential; half the show was about technical specifications which Apple never
indulged in the past regardless of merit, and the details which did matter were
never revealed.  You don't learn about LTE handoff, or how ApplePay actually
works.  You don't know if AppleWatch will work with VO--hardly surprising, but
also surprising that it couldn't be easily guessed.  The Apple Store app
updated itself into inaccessibility.  The U2 album didn't quite download itself
properly.  You just learn about how much better the iPhone is than its
competitors.  Yeah, sure, I'll buy that iPhone 6 plus, but only because it's
got a bigger battery--a fact Apple didn't mention, either--and 802.11AC.  Oh,
yes, and a nice leather case.  NFC is already here, just not on Apple devices.
Macs are not mentioned at all, other than as a selling point.  About the only
nice thing about the whole keynote is that bit at the beginning, where Cook
says he's not going to bore us with the numbers--which a sceptic might suppose
is because they are, er, not all that great.  People who haven't yet read
"Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs" may like to download themselves a copy
at this point.  It's on iBooks, happily.

Or maybe I was just in a bad mood, and the keynote wasn't as bad as all that.
After all, there's a new iPhone in my future. :)