From: "'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries" <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
To: <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: Storage Options and Hard Drives.

One advantage of SSD is speed, especially compared to low-power laptop
spinning drives. I was once working with a guy who went from launching
vmware to working in windows in about 3 seconds on a MacBook Air with
SSD. Not sure if that is typical but it was impressive. I think hard
drives just haven't kept up with the rest of the computer architecture
such that our CPUs idle waiting for the disk to spin. SSD is a step
forward in re-aligning the storage speed with the leaps all the other
subsystems have taken. At least SSD costs seem to keep on dropping every
year. A quick check of Newegg points to about $US .60 per GB which, at
one time, would have been considered cheap for a spinning disk. While
the crossover for the cost of SSB per GB matching spinning disks is
still years in the future, the differential isn't what it used to be.
It's also a diminishing return where, eventually, you'll have more
storage than you can fill for the life of the machine. I used to go
through several hard drive upgrade over the life of a machine but now
days I seldom run out, but maybe that's just me.

CB

On 9/15/14, 12:28 AM, Barry Hadder wrote:
> SSDs aren't like thumb drives.  They are much more reliable and don't
> have that problem of write limits.
> If you have the money for one, than that's great.  But, you don't need
> anything like this unless your doing something like audio or video
> production.   They are much more costly.
> WD My Book or My Passport will do just fine for most people.  If you
> choose that option, don't git the version for Mac.  it cost more and
> all you need to do is git the PC version and reformat it.
>

> On Sep 14, 2014, at 11:00 PM, Anita <silky...@gmail.com
> <mailto:silky...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi List,
>     Can't SSD drives only be written to rewritten and read
> from a certain number of times? If this is the case, does it quit
> working after the last rewrite? For this reason, was wondering which
> is the best drive to purchase?
>     Thanks,
>     Anita

> Barry Hadder