1. VoiceOver doesn't read the contents of merged cells automatically (which is
a real pain), but if you're on the left-most and up-most cell of the merged
range and press VO-F3 VoiceOver will read the contents. It's a bit flaky but
you just need to play around with it.
2. The inspector is permanently visible now. Selecting it in the menu bar does
not change VoiceOver focus. To get to the inspector, jump from within the table
layout area or from within a table with VO-j. You can jump back again with the
same command.
3. I know the round function still exists, not sure about the others. The
formulas and functions help from the help menu is a good place to look for
functions.
4. I have plenty of work arounds and really love the new Numbers.